Trial mining probably started here in the 18th Century.
Small scale mining started again in 1844.
Nantycar Mining Company formed in 1849 and a more extensive development work commenced.
Rhiwnant Mine contained Cooper, Lead and Zinc Ores which was mined extensively between 1849 and 1853.
A Engine Shaft was sunk to a depth of 53 Fathoms (318 foot), the shaft and dressing floors were powered by a 50 foot diameter waterwheel.
Output was small and mainly of Cooper Ore.
Map Ref SN8908 6192
Map Ref SN8905 6169
Remains of former vertical shaft associated with Nant y Car Lead mine.
Map Ref SN8905 6155
Map Ref SN8908 6191
East side is of stone construction, whereas West side has been cut into rock outcrop.
Map Ref SN8908 6194
Page hits: 1325