Nant Y Garw Mine

Nant Y Garw Mine

Nant Y Garw is in a remote part of the Claerwen Valley. A Vein was discovered around 1877 and work commenced on the mine in 1882. The first sales of Lead Ore was in 1883. Builth Lead Mining Co Ltd bought the mine in 1886 and worked the mine till 1893. Nantgarw Mining Co Ltd continued working the mine till 1899 after which work at the mine was abandoned. The recorded output from the mine was 2177 tons of Lead Ore concetrates.
Map Ref SN875 606

Nant Y Garw Adit

Map Ref SN8758 6054

Remains of the Water Wheel Pit and the entrance to the Mine Adit, a drainage adit.

Nant Y Garw Adit
Nant Y Garw Adit
Nant Y Garw Adit
Nant Y Garw Adit
Nant Y Garw Adit

Nant Y Garw Water Wheel Pit

Map Ref SN8758 6054

Remains of the Water Wheel Pit.

Nant Y Garw Water Wheel Pit
Nant Y Garw Water Wheel Pit
Nant Y Garw Water Wheel Pit
Nant Y Garw Water Wheel Pit

Magazine

Map Ref SN8770 6075

Remains of the mine magazine which is located at some distance to the east, a track leads up to it. The building is still intact but without a roof, measuring 5.0 x 3.3m and 3.3.m high.

Nant Y Garw mine magazine
Nant Y Garw mine magazine
Nant Y Garw mine magazine
Nant Y Garw mine magazine
Nant Y Garw mine magazine
Nant Y Garw mine magazine

The Smithy

Map Ref SN8770 6075

Remains of the mine magazine which is located at some distance to the east, a track leads up to it. The building is still intact but without a roof, measuring 5.0 x 3.3m and 3.3.m high.

Nant Y Garw Smithy
Nant Y Garw Smithy
Nant Y Garw Smithy
Nant Y Garw Smithy
Nant Y Garw Smithy
Nant Y Garw Smithy
Nant Y Garw Smithy
Nant Y Garw Smithy

The Barracks

Map Ref SN

Possible barracks with the one on the right in the picture has a rectangular slot suggesting the position of machinery.

Nant Y Garw Barracks
Nant Y Garw Barracks

Remains of Buildings

Remains of Buildings.

Nant Y Garw Building
Nant Y Garw Building
Nant Y Garw Building
Nant Y Garw Building
Nant Y Garw Building
Nant Y Garw Building

The Mine Shaft

Map Ref SN8746 6058

Remains of the Mine Shaft and Bob-Pit.

Nant Y Garw Mine Shaft
Nant Y Garw Mine Shaft
Nant Y Garw Mine Shaft
Nant Y Garw Mine Shaft
Nant Y Garw Mine Shaft

A Former Part

Map Ref SN

Nant Y Garw Building

A Former Building

Map Ref SN

This structure is partly buried by spoil, but consists of a stone revetted platform measuring 15 x 13m, with the remains of a machine base in the middle and a series of timber tanks and launders along the north-east extemal wall.

Nant Y Garw Building

Green's Processing Mill

Map Ref SN

The Green's Processing Mill. The property appears to have been in the possession of George Green of Aberystwyth for a short time. Green (1824-1895) owned the Cambrian Foundry, and supplied mining equipment to mines in mid-Wales and further afield. Green patented his "self-acting dressing machinery", which included crusher rolls, jiggers, buddies and classifiers, installed in purpose-built mills, which were powered by water wheels. The remains of the Green's processing mill survive at Nantgarw, although they are difficult to interpret.

Green's Processing Mill
Green's Processing Mill
Green's Processing Mill
Green's Processing Mill
Green's Processing Mill
Green's Processing Mill
Green's Processing Mill

The Leats

Map Ref SN

Three leats for the mine, the shortest one running from Nant Y Carw stream which may of had a dam built across the stream. The longest leat was constructed in 1893 to carry water from LLyn Carw 2km to the west.

Nant Y Garw Mine Leats
Nant Y Garw Mine Leats
Nant Y Garw Mine Leats
Nant Y Garw Mine Leats
Nant Y Garw Mine Leats

Early working

Map Ref SN

Possibly the earliest working of the Nantygarw lead mine are associated with this now collapsed level.

Nant Y Garw Mine earliest working
Nant Y Garw Mine earliest working
Nant Y Garw Mine earliest working
Nant Y Garw Mine earliest working

Ore Bin 3

Map Ref SN8750 6060

Ore Bin 3.

Nant Y Garw Ore Bin 3

Ore Bin 4

Map Ref SN8750 6059

Ore Bin 4.

Nant Y Garw Ore Bin 4

The Mine From Above

Looking down at the mine shaft, remains of a building, Ore Bin 4 and possibly a Whim Circle.

Nant Y Garw From Above

The Mine From Above

Looking down from above.

Nant Y Garw From Above
Nant Y Garw From Above
Nant Y Garw From Above
Nant Y Garw From Above

Other Remains

Other Remains.

Nant Y Garw Remains
Nant Y Garw Remains
Nant Y Garw Remains
Nant Y Garw Remains
Nant Y Garw Remains
Nant Y Garw Remains

Page hits:315

Copyright - Elan Valley Past And Present 2018